Blueberry Lemony Lemon Bars

Summer. What do you think about when you think Summer. Hot? Cookouts? Relaxing? Bugs?

I can tell you if you live in Iowa, the darn gnats are BAD. No one wanted to be outside last week because you would eat one if you opened your mouth!

When I think of Summer, I think - flowers planted, green grass, fresh air, cookouts, family time. If you know me you know that my life is usually a fly by the seat of your pants if you wash your hair on the weekends {gross, but it happens} your lucky. So you can imagine being so busy and trying to be better at meal planning - yeap life of a mother in general right - is everybody fed, bathed, happy and asleep - is the diaper bag packed for tomorrow. I'm not the only one in this boat...I'm such a planner but I have learned in the life of a mother there are somethings you just CAN'T plan. With that being said, I am getting so much better at working in meal planning to my routine. I have an Erin Condren Planner and now so that is enough motivation to start writing down ahead of time what I am going to cook. so....I have worked into the grocery list some items for desert for the week as well. I can remember as a child my mom would make Lemon Bars in the summer time. I didn't like lemons but you put it in something sweet - this girl was all over it!

Ingredients:

Bars
3/4 cup King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted softened butter
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Blueberry Lemon Glaze
1 rounded cup powdered sugar
4 tablespoon lemon juice
6 teaspoons lemon zest
4 tablespoons blueberries

 
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8x8 baking dish with Pam or Easy Bake (cake baking eisle)and set aside. Zest and juice two small/large lemons; set aside

In an electric mixture with the paddle attachment, beat the flour, sugar, salt, and softened butter until combined.
 
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, lemon zest, and lemon juice until combined. Pour into the flour mixture and beat at medium speed until smooth and creamy.

Pour into baking dish and bake for 24 minutes, do not overbake. While these are in the oven, start the sweet Blueberry Lemon Glaze. Don't glaze until bars are COOLED.

Whisk the powdered sugar, lemon zest and juice together. Mix that until clumps are gone then stir in the Blueberries, they can be fresh or frozen.

1 comment: